I think, due to too many people telling me that I'm smiling to myself when I'm reading books, I rarely show any amusement when reading anything. Although what the logic is, I have no idea. It's not like I'm staring at a blank piece of wall several inches to the left of your head and giggling at it. -.- Obviously, something IS funny, and that's what the author wrote, isn't it. -.- Talk about illogical! *looks at slavedriver, anemone, and cheng*
Anyway, reading a funny part in the book is like having a private joke with the author. Either you roar in laughter like heck and show it to everyone who's watching on amusedly, or you grin at the person who's asking, "What's so funny?" and refuse to say a word.
Good Omens. The book is full of Gaiman and Pratchett. I realise why it's so popular. Indeed, it's both their styles combined. "Gaiman's dark and steely style, with Pratchett's sacrastic style and play with words", truly, it was. The book gives some pretty interesting thoughts too. Guess I really didn't know what I was picking up when I was trying to choose a book out of that whole shelf. I almost didn't pick this treasure. (:
However, it must be confessed that I think the last parts were the most amusing.
"What Terry Pratchett thinks of Neil Gaiman"
"What Neil Gaiman thinks of Terry Pratchett"
The two of them are obviously very good friends, who admire each other's works very much. :D Favourite authors! But why.. -.- Heaven is unfair to make Pratchett get Alzhemier's. -.-
A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson.
She also wrote The Great Ghost Rescue, I think. In any case, this book reminded me rather a lot of A Little Princess, written by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Strong female characters, both petite, dark-haired, and dark-eyed. It seems to be both an elaboration of Cinderella and Russian history. However, the characters remain realistic enough, and oh, devasting curtsies, Anna, haha. (: I was right there with all the characters. Although events opened exactly as I imagined it to have, it's nice to have a perfect heroine to root for, once in a while. (:
Hmm. Ignorance has more devasting effects after all. After all, if it's just black and cold hearts, then those hearts can be warmed and no more disasters will ensue. But with ignorance and self-righteousness, the result is a stubborn idiot who ends up thinking that everyone is cheating him/her, and refuses to change their ways and so, continues hurting people around them. -.-
And now my cat is sleeping on my pillow. Hmmm. His body is really getting long.
I suppose it was my fault. -.- Just need to control temper more.
We walked a very big round to subway, but I think it was worth it. (: Discovered Jackie Chan's cafe! Hmm, thinks it should be quite interesting to explore the place(s) during lunch.
... Ah well. It won't happen that fast.
Dec 4, 2009
Good Omens, and Countess Below Stairs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment